We are looking for candidates who are positive, enthusiastic, empathetic, and have a passion for helping people improve their lives.
First, I’d like to thank you for your interest. We at ZŪM Fitness are committed to finding and hiring the ideal person to help us achieve our goal of guiding our members through their lifelong fitness journey. We’ve branded our complimentary group exercise program as Large Group Training. This is to reflect that we strive to make our classes as engaging as, and more accessible than, our for-fee Private Training, Semi-Private Training, and Small Group Training offerings.
About ZŪM Fitness’ Large Group Training program and the Large Group Training Director position:
ZŪM is dedicated to assisting all types of women and men in enjoying the activities they love without being limited by pain or fatigue. We achieve this by offering a group training environment that allows our members to thrive within their bodies, with the appropriate level of guidance and personal attention that will allow them to maximize their results. We are not only prepared to give class participants coaching and support each time they attend our classes, but we also make a practice of modifying cueing and suggestions to each individual as they develop better conditioning, greater strength, and an understanding of the relationship between themselves and their bodies.
Caring and performance are very important to us. If you perform, and exhibit the fully engaged, professional characteristics that we’re looking for, you will be rewarded. We want nothing more than to find a quality person who takes real interest in doing good work and taking care of our members.
If this describes you, the salary and training commissions are only the starting point. ZŪM recognizes and rewards performance. Positive attitude and enthusiasm go a long way – If you feel you have these attributes and the basic skills required, you are definitely a candidate. Please do not hesitate to apply!
The person selected for the LGT Director position will be paid a guaranteed salary of $10,000 per year. They will additionally be paid $40 for each class they instruct, with a bonus offered as class attendance grows. If a personal training certification is acquired, the LGT Director will also be offered the opportunity to become a Personal Fitness Coach. This will allow for the opportunity to pick up personal training clients at an initial rate of $25 – 40/session, based on the number of clients trained. Depending on current needs, there may also be the opportunity to work hours at ZŪM’s Front Desk at $15 per hour.
Tasks you will be expected to perform:
- Manage day-to-day operations of the LGT class schedule, including monitoring and ensuring all classes are covered and communicated to members.
- Cover classes when it is established that there will be no instructor available so that no more than 1 class per month is cancelled.
- Manage all LGT staff, including hiring, firing, on-boarding, off-boarding, and serving as liaison for human resource issues.
- Evaluate all classes on the schedule through participation in at least 2 classes per week. All classes on the schedule must be evaluated over a 3-month period.
- Evaluate classes outside of ZŪM with the intention of adding new classes, formats, and instructors to the ZŪM LGT schedule. You must take X classes each month of at least 2 different modalities. Evaluating our competition should be a secondary goal in this endeavor.
- Keep the LGT payroll under X % of total membership revenue.
- Compile and submit payroll to the Operations Manager and Fitness Director twice per month.
- Attend weekly 1-hr. Performance Development Meetings with the Fitness Director.
- Manage space rentals, workshops, and hosting classes for outside organizations, including all communication and collecting funds.
- Develop workshops of all modalities designed for non-members (X workshop(s) per month that draw at least 8 participants).
- Instruct at least 4 classes per week.
The ideal applicant for this position will embrace both the culture and the opportunity for development we’ve built at ZŪM, and will strive to maintain our philosophy, our involvement, and a high level of coaching in each class that we offer. They must be ready to accept and embrace the mentorship and support of both the Fitness Director and the General Manager to continue to build our inclusive, professionally-sound, and engaging group exercise culture as we all try to meet our members’ needs and expectations.
To be able to train individual clients, you must also become proficient with providing all of the following fitness services to our general membership:
- Baseline fitness assessments - Used to establish biomechanical abilities and limitations so that you may safely prescribe an appropriate exercise schedule and regime for each client. You will then introduce and familiarize your client with the program you design for them after conducting the Baseline.
- Orientations – Designed to introduce members to both ZŪM’s culture, and also provide basic information for navigating ZŪM’s equipment, systems, and benefits. These complimentary sessions are ideal for new members, but also offer pertinent information for existing members.
- Personal Training Consultations – Specifically intended for both prospective members and existing members who have expressed interest in our personal training services. This is a complimentary session designed to demonstrate the benefits of personal training and how it can support each prospective client.
Impromptu guidance - We are a high-service club, and we strive to provide an experience that exceeds the expectations at a typical health club. All Personal Fitness Coaches will be expected to approach members while they’re working out, introduce themselves, develop rapport, and offer guidance, suggestions, and support.
- Group Exercise Instruction Experience – You must have at least 2 years instructing group exercise classes in a gym or health club environment. Proficiency in instructing multiple modalities is an added bonus.
- Excellent Communication skills – You must be comfortable talking to people about all appropriate health and fitness needs, as well as with staff and management. You must be comfortable conversing in-person, electronically, and over the phone. You must be able to conduct yourself professionally, and deliver clear instructions when appropriate.
- Outstanding Organization and Computer skills – Our departmental systems have already been created, and a healthy proficiency at using them is a must. You may also amend them, as well as create new systems, as necessary.
- Health and Fitness Education – It is not imperative that you have a degree in a related field, though a demonstrated working knowledge of health and fitness would be a minimum.
- People Skills and Personality – You must LOVE working with people! This is an exciting environment, and you must be able to show the members, the instructors, and your clients, energy and personality when working with them.
- Nationally recognized group exercise and/or personal training certification – ACSM or NSCA preferred, but others may be considered.
- Management experience with large groups
- Previous personal training experience
- CPR/AED Certification
- Experience working with special populations (elderly, children, etc.)
With positive performance reviews that reflect a mastery of our standard of service, demonstration of initiative, and demonstration of a strong sense of team and camaraderie, beginning at a tenure of 6 months, you will be eligible for an increase in your base pay rates and a benefits package including subsidized parking, free parking, or a transportation reimbursement, and health insurance.
Ideal candidates will have at least 1 year of group exercise instruction across more than one exercise modality. We will strongly consider applicants with less experience and a willingness and ability to learn and be mentored.