Personal Fitness Coach
We are looking for candidates who are positive, enthusiastic, empathetic, and have a passion for helping people improve their lives.
Prospective Fitness Trainer:
First, I’d like to thank you for your interest. We at ZUM Fitness are committed to finding and hiring the most qualified and ideal trainers to help us achieve our mission of inspiring our community to succeed and thrive in their health, fitness, and well-being.
About ZUM Fitness and the Personal Fitness Coach Position:
ZUM is dedicated to assisting all types of women and men enjoy the activities they love without being limited by pain or fatigue. We achieve this by offering customized fitness programs for our members to discover on their own, or with the appropriate level of guidance and personal attention that will allow them to maximize their results. We are not only prepared to give our clients exactly what they need today, with an eye towards progression, but we also expect to modify our approach and focus as our members develop a greater understanding of the relationship between themselves and their bodies.
The ideal applicant for this position will embrace the opportunity for development we’ve built at ZUM. If you are looking for just a job, this is not the move for you. We strive to create an environment to encourage growth and learning. A place where you can further a career, not just a place to ‘train clients’. We endeavor to do everything we can to teach you the skills to achieve – not just fitness skills, but life skills.
ZUM Fitness offers an upscale environment, a hip and ample space, and a large variety of quality equipment. We strive to not be a traditional gym experience. Rather, we’d like this to be a space where all of our fitness professionals can feel encouraged to explore, to innovate, and to develop themselves professionally.
Those selected to the Personal Fitness Coach position will have multiple roles at ZUM, as a Personal Fitness Coach, Group Exercise Instructor, and as a Front Desk Attendant.
Personal Fitness Coach: Those selected for the position are guaranteed 15 fitness floor hours per week at a pay rate of $15/hour. We are currently looking for a Personal Fitness Trainer who is available for midday to evening hours. Please refer below for an explanation of the duties performed during these shifts. As the Trainer picks up revenue-based training clients, they will be paid a higher hourly rate in lieu of the $15 hourly floor wage. The hourly rate for revenue-based training initially ranges from $25-40 per session, depending on the type of session performed: 1-on-1, Duet, or Small Group Training. With effective performance and growth.
Group Exercise Instructor: All of our Large Group Training fitness classes are taught by professional trainers, some of whom have been teaching for 20 years. Newly hired Personal Fitness Trainers will be expected to teach group exercise classes after they go through a mentoring process with ZUM’s Fitness Director and General Manager. They will be paid a starting base rate of $25 per class, with a bonus structure that rewards for high class attendance.
Front Desk Attendant: Working front desk shifts allows our Personal Fitness Trainers to become acquainted with our members and staff, refine their “people skills”, and helps them clearly understand the importance of all of us working together as a team. The Personal Fitness Trainer position may include working up to 4 hours a week as a Front Desk Attendant, at a pay rate of $12 an hour. As the trainer is needed for more training-related activities, she or he will work fewer hours at the front desk, eventually not having any regularly scheduled desk shifts.
With positive performance reviews that reflect a mastery of our standard of service, demonstration of initiative, and demonstration of a strong sense of team and camaraderie, beginning at a tenure of 6 months, you will be eligible for increases to your base pay rates. You also will then be eligible to procure benefits including, but not limited to, health insurance, paid vacation, and subsidized parking.
Tasks You Will Be Expected to Perform:
- Developing comprehensive fitness programs for the members and your clients – You will receive coaching and training on our system and programs, but will have the flexibility to incorporate your own knowledge and training style.
- Tracking client and member progress – You will track progress, current successes and challenges, review your client’s and other members’ exercise logs, and more, on a regular basis to ensure their success in our programs. It will be your job to hold a client accountable to his/her health and fitness program to the ensure the best results possible. You will advise members
- Coaching clients through 12-week programs – You will be responsible for regular exercise sessions and keeping detailed progress reports on your clients. If a client is encountering challenges throughout his/her program, you will coach and motivate them, while making appropriate modifications to ensure consistent progress.
- Demonstrate proper exercise instruction – This is a big one. We will need you to be able to provide proper coaching, instruction, and motivation during all client training, and member service sessions. You should have a working knowledge of the human body (muscles, planes of movement, function, etc.), and be able to program and explain appropriate exercises that allow each person to meet their goals.
- Provide ongoing health and fitness education – Our members and clients rely on us to service their health and fitness needs. It is your job as a fitness coach to provide them with health and fitness education on various topics that empower them to lead ongoing healthy lives. You will be provided with educational tools and resources, be expected to study them, and be able to confidently speak about them with your clients and the members. We will also spend time covering this in weekly staff meetings.
During your Fitness-Floor hours you will be prepared to offer each of our members:
- BaseLine fitness assessments – Used to evaluate and establish the biomechanical abilities and limitations of the member so that you may safely prescribe an appropriate exercise schedule and regime. You will then introduce the program you design to the member, and answer questions and give cues.
- Consultations – For members interested in personal training, you will need to listen to their needs and concerns, ask imploring questions, and find solutions to their problems with the goal of creating an exceptional training relationship with them.
- Impromptu guidance – We are a high-service club, and strive to provide an experience that you don’t receive at a typical health club. All House Trainers will be expected to approach members while they’re working out, introduce themselves, develop rapport, and offer guidance, suggestions, and support.
- Excellent Communication skills – You must be comfortable talking to people about all appropriate health and fitness needs. You must be comfortable conversing in-person, electronically, and over the phone. You must be able to conduct yourself professionally, and deliver clear instructions to the members, and your clients.
- Health and Fitness Education – It is not imperative that you have personal training experience, though a demonstrated, working knowledge of health and fitness would be a minimum.
- Empathy – Training people is as much art and heart, as it is science. To be effective, it is very important that you not only be able to develop programs and demonstrate exercises, but also that you are able to understand what your client or the member might be feeling, or going through at that time. We are looking for people who can connect with their clients, so that you can actually implement what you envision for them.
- People Skills and Personality – You must LOVE working with people! This is an exciting environment, and you must be able to show the members, and your clients, energy and personality when working with them.
- Nationally-recognized certification – ACSM or NSCA preferred, but we will consider others.
Previous personal training experience
Exercise,Biomechanics, or Health related degree
Work with special populations (elderly, children, etc.)
Experience leading groups – exercise, or not
How to Apply
We’re looking to hire the right people relatively quickly. Our immediate needs are for an afternoon and evening shift, with required hours from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.
If you would like to apply for this great career opportunity, please follow these instructions:
- 1. Scroll down to the contact form below.
- 2. Fill in the “Position Applying For” box with “Personal Fitness Coach“
- 3. Fill out the rest of the web form and submit.
Thank you very much for your interest, and for taking the time to determine if this is the right position for you!
Fitness Director – ZUM Fitness
P.S. As implied above, this is a not a position where you just show and do your job. Caring and performance are very important to us. If you perform, and are the type of character person we’re looking for, you will be rewarded. We want nothing more than to find a quality person who takes real interest in doing good work, and taking care of our members. If that’s you, I promise that $25/hr. training compensation is only the starting point. ZUM recognizes and rewards performance.
Positive attitude and enthusiasm go a long way – If you feel you have these attributes and the basic skills mentioned above, you are definitely a candidate! Please do not hesitate to apply: