We are looking for candidates who are positive, enthusiastic, empathetic, and have a passion for helping people improve their lives.
First, I’d like to thank you for your interest. We at ZUM Fitness are committed to finding and hiring the most qualified trainers to help us achieve our goal of guiding our members through their lifelong fitness journey.
Those selected for the Personal Fitness Coach position will be paid a guaranteed $15 per hour for a 20-hour per week schedule that will be centered around early-morning to mid-day hours, or early-afternoon to evening hours. Please refer to later sections of this document for an explanation of the duties performed during this shift. As you pick up revenue-based training clients, you will be paid a commission in lieu of the hourly wage. The commission compensation for all revenue-based training will initially range from $25 – 40 per session, depending on the type of session performed – 1-on-1, Semi-Private, or Small Group.
You may also have the opportunity work 8 – 10 hours per week at our Front Desk at $15 per hour. Working the Front Desk is an optimal opportunity for the new PFC to:
- Meet our members (read: potential clients!) at their first point-of-contact
- Get to know our systems and our software
- Support the members and establish themselves as a source of information and problem-solving
As you acquire revenue-based training clients, you will gradually reduce, then eliminate, your Front Desk availability.
After an appropriate training period that will include workshop time, observation, and serving as an assistant to a tenured and experienced instructor, you also will be expected to teach Group Exercise classes to our membership at large, at an initial rate of $25/class.
With positive performance reviews that reflect a mastery of our standard of service, demonstration of initiative, and demonstration of a strong sense of team and camaraderie, beginning at a tenure of 1 year, and after maintaining for at least three months, an average of 18 revenue-based training hours and 2 group training classes per week, you will be eligible for an increase in your base pay rates. After reaching 23 hours per week of revenue-based training and 2 group training classes, you will be eligible to receive a benefits package including subsidized or free parking or a transportation reimbursement and health insurance.
Tasks You Will Be Expected to Perform
- Developing comprehensive fitness programs for the members and your clients – You will receive coaching and training on our system and our programs, but will have the flexibility to incorporate your own knowledge and training style.
- Tracking client and member progress – You will track your clients’ progress, current successes and challenges, review your client’s and other members’ exercise logs, and more, on a regular basis to ensure their success in our programs. It will be your job to hold a client accountable to his/her health and fitness program to the ensure the best results possible. You will also advise members on their progress and oversee their adaptation with our standardized programs.
- Coaching clients through 12-week programs – You will be responsible for regular exercise sessions and keeping detailed progress reports on your clients. If a client is encountering challenges throughout his/her program, you will coach and motivate them, while making appropriate modifications to ensure consistent progress.
- Demonstrate proper exercise instruction – This is a big one. We will need you to be able to provide proper coaching, instruction, and motivation during all client training, and member service sessions. You should have a working knowledge of the human body (muscles, planes of movement, function, etc.), and be able to program and explain appropriate exercises that allow each person to meet their goals.
- Provide ongoing health and fitness education – Our members and clients rely on us to service their health and fitness needs. It is your job as a fitness coach to provide them with health and fitness education on various topics that empower them to lead ongoing healthy lives. You will be provided with educational tools and resources, be expected to study them, and be able to confidently speak about them with your clients and the members. We will also spend time covering this in weekly staff meetings.
During your Fitness-Floor hours you will be prepared to offer each of our members:
- Baseline fitness assessments - Used to establish the biomechanical abilities and limitations so that you may safely prescribe an appropriate exercise schedule and regime. You will then introduce and familiarize each member with the program you design for them after conducting the Baseline.
- Orientations – Designed to introduce members to both ZUM’s culture and also basic information for navigating ZUM’s systems and benefits. These sessions are ideal for new members, but also offer pertinent information for existing members.
- 101 Sessions – Regularly-scheduled sessions with specific fitness topics that introduce and educate members on different equipment and modalities such as dumbbells, cardio equipment, cable machines, etc.
- Consultations – Specifically intended for both prospective members and existing members who have expressed interest in our personal training services. A complementary session designed to demonstrate the benefits of personal training and how it can support each prospective client.
- Impromptu guidance - We are a high-service club, and we strive to provide an experience that exceeds what is expected at a typical health club. All Personal Fitness Coaches will be expected to approach members while they’re working out, introduce themselves, develop rapport, and offer guidance, suggestions, and support.
- Excellent Communication skills – You must be comfortable talking to people about all appropriate health and fitness needs. You must be comfortable conversing in-person, electronically, and over the phone. You must be able to conduct yourself professionally, and deliver clear instructions to the members, and your clients.
- Health and Fitness Education – It is not imperative that you have personal training experience, though a demonstrated, working knowledge of health and fitness would be a minimum.
- Empathy – Training people is as much art and heart, as it is science. To be effective, it is very important that you not only be able to develop programs and demonstrate exercises, but also that you are able to understand what your client or the member might be feeling, or going through at that time. We are looking for people who can connect with their clients, so that you can actually implement what you envision for them.
- People Skills and Personality – You must LOVE working with people! This is an exciting environment, and you must be able to show the members, and your clients, energy and personality when working with them.
- Nationally-recognized certification – ACSM or NSCA preferred, but others may be considered.
- Exercise or Health related degree
- CPR Certification
- Work with special populations (elderly, children, etc.)
- Experience leading groups – exercise, or not.
It is not imperative that you have previous personal training experience, though it would be an added bonus if you were to have at least 1 year in the fitness industry.
We’re looking to hire the right people relatively quickly. If this job sounds right for you, please complete the form by clicking the "APPLY NOW" button and we will contact you via email with details on our hiring process and a request to schedule an initial phone interview.
Thank you very much for your interest, and for taking the time to determine if this is the right position for you!
Fitness Director, ZUM
P.S. As implied above, this is a not a position where you just show and do your job. Caring and performance are very important to us. If you perform, and are the type of character person we’re looking for, you will be rewarded. We want nothing more than to find a quality person who takes real interest in doing good work and taking care of our members. If that’s you, I promise that $25/hr. is only the starting point. ZUM recognizes and rewards performance.
Positive attitude and enthusiasm go a long way – If you feel you have these attributes and the basic skills mentioned above, you are definitely a candidate! Please do not hesitate to reply.